Note: This was part of a larger 7-Week Series to Asia! Read more about that trip here.
One of my favorite people, Remy (aka @veggiekins) is from Shanghai, and she's the queen of vegan, so if she can live and thrive in this city, I knew vegan food wouldn't be too hard to find. My other favorite person, Zoey (wechat ID: sweetbeets) runs vegan events/yoga in Shanghai... so with these two guides, Shanghai ended up being the #1 place on my Asia trip that left me the most full (I was so full one day that I only ate one meal and then slept at 6pm from my food baby).
The food is amazing, the sites are Instagramable, everything is blocked online (get a VPN), and it's a big city in China where I managed to get around without knowing Chinese. It's a great place to visit, so here are my tips on how I traveled in Shanghai!
Vegan Food in Shanghai
Disclaimer: When I travel, I'm looking to eat "authentic" food from that country/region. So I'm sure there are tons of amazing vegan restaurants that serve American food, Indian food, Japanese food, etc...but I'm probably not visiting them on my trip. You can always find a full list of vegan restaurants abroad on HappyCow.
Being vegan in Shanghai actually isn't that difficult because you can always order steamed/stir-fried vegetables at any restaurant (just watch out for the oyster sauce), get some tofu (no meat), and then complete that meal with some white rice. However, if you want some more of the "traditional" Shanghainese meals like soup dumplings (xiao long bao), you will have to go to a vegan restaurant. I outlined some of the restaurants I went to below to help with your travel plans!
PS: Thanks to @penguinfightsback for this tip! "If you're looking for authentic vegan Chinese food try 土豆丝 (shredded potato, tastes better than it sounds), stir fried eggplant with soy sauce, 包子with 香菇，蔬菜, but better ask if they do put meat into the filling. 豆浆油条 is THE breakfast in shanghai and it is basically a fluffy fried bread stick with soy sauce (fresh soy sauce in china is so good)"
Godly Vegetarian Restaurant
China, Shanghai, Huangpu, Nanjing W Rd, 南京西路455弄1-24号
Fuchun XiaoLong 富春小笼
650 Yuyuan Rd, Jingan Qu, Shanghai Shi, China, 20000
Tibetian Hot Pot
1788 Nanjing Xi Lu, 1788 Eco City, Room F301, near Wulumuqi Bei Lu
Pearl Oriental Tower
Tian Zi Fang
SHANGHAI, CHINA (05/30/2017 - 06/02/2017)
- 3:25 PM: 你好, Motherland!! Arrive at Shanghai Pudong International Airport.
- Take taxi to AIRBNB (watch out for BLACK TAXIS)
- 5:30-6:00 PM: First Dinner in the Motherland, yeyuuuh
- Rest for the rest of the night because we’ll be hella tired #TEAMJETLAG
- 8:00-9:00 AM: Wake up and get ready
- 9:00-9:30 AM: Travel to Yuyuan Garden Area (by taxi)
- 9:30-10:30 AM: Have Breakfast near Yuyuan Garden
- 10:30-1:00 PM: Explore and take instagramble pictures at Yuyuan Garden
- 218 Anren St, Huangpu Qu, Shanghai Shi, China
- 1:00-2:00 PM: Eat Lunch!
- 2:00-2:15 PM: Take Taxi to Oriental Pearl Tower
- 2:30-3:30 PM: Be toursty at the Oriental Pearl Tower - 1 Century Ave, LuJiaZui, Pudong Xinqu, Shanghai Shi, China
- 3:30-3:45 PM: Walk to Shanghai World Financial Tower Center
- 4:00-5:00 PM: Continue being touristy this time at the Shanghai World Financial Tower Center - 100 Century Ave, LuJiaZui, Pudong Xinqu, Shanghai Shi, China, 200120
- 5:00-6:00PM: Free time to explore the area
- 6:00-6:15PM; 6:15-7:30: Take Taxi to The Bund, and eat dinner at a restaurant nearby
- 7:30-8:30 PM: Explore The Bund and end the night with a walk along the Shanghai skyline -Zhongshan East 1st Rd, WaiTan, Huangpu Qu, Shanghai Shi, China, 200002
- 9:00-9:30 PM: Take taxi back to AirBNB
- 10:00-10:30AM: Wake up and get ready
- 10:30-11:30AM: Grab breakfast
- 12:00-7:30 PM: Have lunch, explore Shanghai, and have dinner with Remy!
- 8:00PM: End the early night and go back to AirBNB to get beauty sleep.
- 4:30-5:30AM: Wake up and check out of AirBNB
- 5:30-6:30AM: Take Taxi to Shanghai Pudong International Airport.
- 6:30-8:30AM: Arrive at airport and go through security. Get breakfast at airport. Pray afterwards because we survived China without speaking Chinese.
- 8:30AM: Departing flight to Korea!!
VLOG #1 IN SHANGHAI
VLOG #2 IN SHANGHAI
For more on Shanghai, @veggiekins has more tips in her blog post for @vegannomadlife http://vegannomadlife.com/vegan-in-shanghai/